It's that time of year again. After weeks and weeks of indulgence, many of us will be embarking on a serious health kick this January, and thinking about following a detox plan. But it doesn't have to be painful. Follow these expert tips for a fuss-free new you.
Here are some easy DIY detox tips from Francine White, nutritional therapist at The Beach House, Goa:
1. Remove all temptations from the house – either wait to begin your detox until your stock of snacks and treats has run out, or throw/give them away. It’s much easier to resist temptation if it simply isn’t there.
2. Try to stay at home and avoid socialising. When detoxing, it’s really important to rest and sleep as much as possible. Your body has a tough job processing the toxins being liberated, so it’s important to save energy for the job at hand. Besides, you’ll be bombarded by temptations when you’re out and about, and a few days at home will be worth it when you emerge a new you.
3. Be prepared. Decide which type of detox you want to do – whether it be juice fasting, soup fasting or sticking to raw foods – and make sure you have your “menu” mapped out. Shop accordingly and make sure you have plenty of filtered water at hand.
4. Try to make sure that all your ingredients are organic so that you are not consuming any toxic herbicides and pesticides. If this isn’t possible, make sure you wash your food really well to remove any external residues.
5. Start your morning by dry skin body brushing (with a natural bristle brush) to remove dead skin cells while also supporting your lymph fluids. Skin is the largest organ of elimination, so it’s important to keep it clear and help it expel toxins. Continue this habit after your detox finishes to keep your skin healthy, supple and glowing.
6. Try to use natural and organic soaps, shampoos and conditioners, and avoid using moisturisers and lotions that are full of toxic chemicals. Use olive oil, coconut oil or almond oil if your skin is dry, or just let it breathe so that the toxins can be released.
7. Wake up every morning and do some gentle stretches and breathing exercises. You could even try buying a relaxation or guided meditation CD to help bring some calmness to your body and mind. Doing yoga is also great.
Get a massage
. It will do wonders to release any knots of tension in your body, increasing the effectiveness of your detox plan.
And here’s a juice that will help cleanse your system…
‘Have this juice every morning for five days. Remember that you will need a good quality blender, and try to use organic ingredients as much as possible,’ says Lorna Driver-Davies, nutritionist at The Nutri Centre. ‘Afterwards, eat breakfast and continue with normal meals for the rest of the day. Have plenty of water, avoid any foods that contain sugar, and try not to drink tea or coffee. You may get a slight headache and feel a little tired, but this should pass day by day.’
300ml of coconut milk
1tsp of raw cacao powder
1 tsp of pumpkin seeds
1 tablespoon of ground almonds
¼ tsp of spirulina powder
2 tsp of sugar-free honey