Marie Claire is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn commission on some of the items you choose to buy.
We’re bombarded with so many new fad diets and quick fix tips that working out how to lose weight fast, but healthily, can be totally confusing. We’ve spoken to top diet and fitness experts to find out how you can shed any unwanted pounds. Healthily.
1. ‘Make sure you have protein with every meal
. Protein helps you feel fuller for longer and also helps balance your blood sugar to reduce any sweet cravings,’ says Shona Wilkinson, head nutritionist at Nutri Centre
2. If you suffer from sugar cravings, consider taking a chromium supplement to help prevent them,’ she adds.
3. ‘Increase your intake of vegetables. Focus on dark green leafy vegetables such as spinach, kale and broccoli. These are packed full of nutrients and will also help keep you full.’
your dinner plates, says Shona. ‘It may sound mad, but plates have got bigger in the past few years. In turn, your portion sizes get bigger.’
5. Try a nutritionist-approved health and weight loss product like Almased. Available in the UK for the first time, it’s a two-week programme that offers sustainable weight loss by initially replacing all meals with a healthy soya, yoghurt and honey drink, and then gradually adding in low-fat, high-protein meals. Nutritionist Katie Hipwell says: ‘Almased’s highly nutritional content itself has very positive health benefits. Those who need to lose more weight will be motivated by the good start to their diet and can continue on light balanced meals and Almased meal replacements once or twice a day.’
6. ‘Stay away from high sugar fruits, such as grapes, raisins and bananas,’ says Patrick Holford
, author of Burn Fat Fast
. ‘Choose low sugar fruits
, such as berries, plums and cherries, instead.’
7. ‘Do 8 minutes of resistance exercise three days a week. And do 30 minutes of cardio exercise – anything that gets your heart rate up – three times a week.’
8. ‘For your main meal, make sure that half the plate is made up of vegetables, one quarter is protein – a piece of lean meat or fish that would fit in your palm – and no more than a quarter is carbs,’ adds Patrick.
9. ‘Drink green tea
,’ says diet expert Marisa Peer
, author of You Can Be Thin
. ‘It is proven to burn body fat, especially around the waist. If you don’t like the taste, have green tea capsules.’
10. ‘And limit bread to a few slices a week,’ says Marisa. ‘Eat rye or pumpernickel, instead of wheat bread.’
11. ‘Have protein for breakfast. Motivate yourself by remembering that your body wakes up in a fat-burning mode and eating protein first thing will help you keep burning fat right up until you next eat carbs,’ adds Marisa.
12. ‘Make sure you drink 1 litre of water per 20kg of your body weight,’ says fitness expert Jacqueline Wilson. ‘This is absolutely essential.’
13. ‘Go for natural foods as much as possible and do not eat any processed foods,’ says Jacqueline. ‘Nothing in a packet!’
14. ‘To beat bloating, reduce your salt intake
,’ says diet expert Jane Michell, founder of Jane Plan
. ‘Avoid adding salt to your meals or while cooking. Your tummy will become flatter and you will see a positive result on the scales.’
15. ‘Cut out alcohol,’ says Jane. ‘It contains a lot of hidden calories – a glass of wine has at least 100.’
16. ‘Choose healthy snacks that contain no more 120 calories. That’s equivalent to a very small handful of nuts and dried fruit.’
17. ‘Include pineapple, grapefruit and celery in your diet,’ says celebrity fitness trainer Jenny Pacey. ‘They contain enzymes that have been found to mobilise fat.’
18. ‘Get 8-9 hours of sleep per night,’ says fitness and nutrition expert Darryl Edwards. ‘Just a few nights of sleep deprivation can increase the levels of hormones that boost appetite and reduce your ability to register that you’re full.’
19. ‘Remove common food allergens, including dairy, wheat and nuts, from your diet,’ says fitness expert Phil Hawsworth. ‘You will quickly lose bloating from around your stomach.’
20. Invest in a pair of Zaggora
HotPants to lose weight more rapidly during workouts. The fabric has been scientifically proven to increase the amount of calories you burn during exercise by raising your body temperature.
And finally… celebrity fitness trainer Jenny Pacey stresses that ‘reducing your calorie intake is key, but do not drop below 1,200 calories a day.’ She adds: ‘Your body will start to worry that you’re starving it and will slow down your metabolism.’