The key to life is being happy and healthy, right? With this in mind, lifestyle and wellness coach Cara Alwill Leyba talks us through how we can actually be proud of our bodies. So ditch the diet and get reading, ladies...
Self-acceptance: that elusive term that seems so difficult to achieve. While, of course, it’s important to eat healthily and exercise, the truth is, nobody is perfect. But as women, so many of us continue to stress ourselves out as we struggle to trim and tone ourselves to the point of exhaustion.
Why not spend that energy on learning to love the skin we’re in? Here are 5 ways you can instantly boost your self-esteem and start owning your body at any size. Listen up.
1. Splurge on a wardrobe you love. When we look good, we feel good. It’s as simple as that. Stop waiting until you lose ten more pounds to treat yourself to a new wardrobe. Invest in a few key pieces like a structured blazer, great fitting trousers and a pair of killer heels to inject some glamour into your wardrobe. Toss or donate anything that doesn’t fit or make you feel amazing.
2. Find a workout that is enjoyable. The fastest way to feel uninspired about your body? Over-extending yourself in the gym. Many of us have an 'all or nothing' attitude when it comes to working out, which leaves us feeling defeated when we can’t instantly run a 10k. Try workouts that feel good; like long, fast-paced walks or dance classes. Get your body moving in a way that feels fun and natural.
3. Get a proper lingerie fitting. Have you ever actually been fitted for a bra in a lingerie shop? Believe it or not, most women haven’t. Selecting the right bra size can shave five pounds off instantly, and help with posture as well. Gather your girlfriends, go out for a glass of champagne, and spend an afternoon getting sized up for proper lingerie. (Bonus points if you pick out some gorgeous underwear that make you feel sexy. Burn the granny pants, ladies!).
4. Indulge in a spa day. Take a load off. Indulge in a spa day and get a massage or a facial. Slow down and take time to be in the moment. Connect with your body and really pay attention to how it feels to be touched and pampered. Your body is a gift, so be sure to treat it that way.
5. Be kind to yourself. Perhaps the most obvious way to feel good about our bodies is to be gentler with ourselves. We’re all human, and we’re all doing the best we can. As long as you focus on your health and wellness, you’re doing everything you need to do. Save your energy for giving something back to the world and being a good person. A dress size just shouldn’t be that important.
For more of Cara's musings visit The Champagne Diet website.
Marie Claire Newsletter
Celebrity news, beauty, fashion advice, and fascinating features, delivered straight to your inbox!
The leading destination for fashion, beauty, shopping and finger-on-the-pulse views on the latest issues. Marie Claire's travel content helps you delight in discovering new destinations around the globe, offering a unique – and sometimes unchartered – travel experience. From new hotel openings to the destinations tipped to take over our travel calendars, this iconic name has it covered.
Taylor Swift reveals when she actually started dating Travis Kelce - and why she's refusing to hide their relationship
She's opening up about it *all*
By Jadie Troy-Pryde
Forget the South of France in summer, winter’s the time to go
By Penny Goldstone
The biggest dating trends for 2024 might just get you back on the apps
Feeling jaded by modern dating? Take a look at this
By Lauren Hughes