A lovely summer dessert
250 ml (9 fl oz/1 cup) pouring (whipping) cream
300 ml (101/2 fl oz) milk
45 g (11/2 oz/1/2 cup) desiccated coconut
125 g (41/2 oz/heaped 1/2 cup) caster (superfine) sugar
4 egg yolks
1 teaspoon powdered gelatine (when using powdered gelatine, always check the manufacturers instructions)
cardamom almond bread or pistachio biscotti, to serve
1. Whip the cream in a bowl, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until needed.
2. Put the milk in a heavy-based saucepan over very low heat and stir in the coconut and sugar. Allow the milk to just simmer for 15 minutes, or until reduced and thick, then strain into a bowl through a fine sieve. Using the back of a large spoon, press as much liquid as possible out of the coconut, into the bowl.
3. Whisk the egg yolks in a separate bowl, then whisk in the warm milk. Pour into a clean saucepan and stir over medium heat for 810 minutes, or until the mixture coats the back of the spoon. Pour into a clean bowl.
4. In a small bowl, dissolve the gelatine powder in 2 tablespoons of boiling water. Stir well, until the gelatine crystals have completely dissolved. Pour the dissolved gelatine into the warm milk and stir until thoroughly blended. Leave for about 45 minutes, or until cool.
5. Fold the whipped cream through the mixture and spoon into four serving glasses. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 3 hours, or overnight. Just before serving, slice the passionfruit in half, scoop out the seeds and spoon them over the top.
6. Serve with cardamom almond bread or pistachio biscotti.