Promotional feature with Warner Bros
Clue: Splashing the cash is not the only sign…
From watching the smash new rom-com Crazy Rich Asians, we’re fascinated with the notion of landing someone who’s super rich.
The movie centres on the long-term romance between two young professors Nick Young (Henry Golding) and Rachel Chu (Constance Wu).
When Nick invites Rachel to his family home in Singapore for a wedding, she realises Nick is one of the country’s most eligible bachelors.
Far from whooping for joy, Rachel has some tough issues to navigate and a forbidding potential mother-in-law to boot.
Featuring an all-Asian cast, Crazy Rich Asians is set in the eye-poppingly glamorous capital city of Singapore, and isn’t afraid to explore home truths about family relationships and the nature of love.
But is it really possible to date someone without realising they’re loaded? Well, love is blind and they may not be driving around in a Ferrari or wearing a diamond-studded Patek Philipe so we’ve come up with nine ways to work out if you’re dating a secret millionaire…
1. You get on a plane and they automatically turn left (heading straight to first class is a dead giveaway).
2. They say their family are ‘comfortable’ (like Nick in the film, seriously rich people often downplay how loaded they really are).
3. They drop into the conversation that their family skis in Courchevel, France – the world’s most glam ski resort.
4. They bank at Coutts (potential customers must have at least £500k in cash or £5m in assets to open an account there).
5, They pull out a black Amex card when you’re at the checkout (issued by invite only to its most wealthy customers. Rumour has it you can use it to buy a house – they don’t even check the credit limit…).
6. They’ve visited at least five other countries (and not on their gap year), usually the more out of the way places – British Virgin Islands, Seychelles, Peru, New Zealand, Patagonia. A trip to Antarctica is popular with the well-heeled.
7. You’re surprised at how uncluttered their space is (the super-rich often lack ‘stuff’, preferring to invest in one-off quality items).
8. Ditto what they wear, it’s often the wealthiest people who are the least flashy, though look out for designer labels on sunglasses or shoes. Let’s face it: if you know you’ve got millions in the bank, why not?!
9. They’ve asked you what your favourite gemstone is (clue: only the seriously rich even care about this kind of stuff).
The good news is, as in all the best fairytales, if it’s meant to be, it’s meant to be, regardless of money or status – but having a heads up may help if you’re planning on meeting the fam anytime soon!
Crazy Rich Asians is released in the UK on Friday. Watch the trailer here…