We know what we'll be doing from 9pm tonight!
For the last few Monday nights at 9pm I can be found on the sofa, green tea in hand, watching David Tennant and the wonderful Olivia Coleman in ITV’s Broadchurch. Not this Monday. Not tonight.
I will have my ears clued to Xfm and Russell Brand’s reunion with Noel Gallagher. The hilairious pair are taking over the airwaves for a one-off show to promote the Teenage Cancer Trust gigs, of which Noel is the curator, that kick off tomorrow (Tuesday 19) at the Royal Albert Hall. (We’ll be heading to Wednesday’s live show, which is a night of comedy with Brand, Noel Fielding plus special guests, so check back on Thursday morning to get the lowdown on the event).
Brand and Gallagher will also be reunited with their former 6Music chums Matt Morgan and Mr Gee for the first time since the now infamous Sachsgate in 2008.
Talking about tonight’s show, Noel Gallagher told Sun columnist and Xfm DJ Gordon Smart: ‘Xfm asked me if I wanted to do my own radio show leading up to this year’s TCT concerts. I said, I have a better idea. Why don’t we resurrect whats-his-name’s career? That hairy skinny-legged yogameister, Rustle Brand? Last seen shaming the nation at them Olympics…
‘It’ll be great to remind people how colossal me, Matt Morgan and Mr Gee were on that bloody show before ‘Arthur’ got us all the sack. Tune in and see if I’m wrong.’
Whatever happens tonight, the dream team combination of Noel Gallagher and Russell Brand is sure to be entertaining, and we predict many ‘he said whaaat?!’ moments. Here’s why:
Russell Brand’s most outrageous moments:
1) The day after the 9/11 terrorist attacks, he turned up for work at MTV dressed as Osama bin Laden. He was promptly sacked two days later.
2) He was also sacked by Xfm after he read pornographic material on air during a Sunday afternoon show. Perhaps not his best laid plan.
3) Brand was arrested and charged with criminal damage and indecent exposure back in 2001 when he stripped starkers while covering the May Day protests for MTV.
4) Who could forget Sachsgate? Russell Brand and Jonathan Ross got in very hot water back in 2008 when they left smutty messages on actor Andrews Sachs’s answerphone during a pre-recorded Radio 2 show. Jonathan Ross said that Brand had sex with his granddaughter Georgina Baillie. The scadal led to the departure of the Radio 2 station controller, and both Brand and Ross left the BBC.
5) After being arrested and charged for destroying a paparazzo’s iPhone in 2012, Brand said: ‘Since Steve Jobs died I cannot bear to see anyone use an iphone irreverently, what I did was a tribute to his memory.’