What counts as a relationship deal-breaker for you? A quick Marie Claire office poll includes gratuitous use of ‘LOL’, short-sleeve shirts (disclaimer: it’s fine to roll up long sleeves in the summer, but prêt-a-porter cap sleeves on a man are a NO), stonewashed denim in any form and eating all the food that you’ve been looking forward to all day.
One Reddit user put this question to the Internet, this time asking divorcees the reason they ended their marriage. The responses were incredibly candid. Scroll on to see some of the most unbelievable replies to: ‘Divorced people of Reddit, what was the final straw?‘
– ‘She wasn’t religious when we met. Ten years later she told me I was going to hell for believing in dinosaurs.’
– ‘He wouldn’t get a job. He would make a big show of looking for work, fill out applications, then stuff them in the car and never turn them in. Finding them in the car was the last straw.’
– ‘When I came home to find her sister’s husband naked in my bed.’
– ‘Probably when I returned home and found all the furniture, food and my wife missing. Another hint was the empty bank account.’
– ‘It was pretty much the Emma Thompson storyline from Love Actually – peeked into a jewellery bag at what I thought was my Christmas gift, on Christmas morning got a goddamn Nook* instead. I was confused until a week later, via Facebook snooping, I saw his “friend” showing off the gift. Shortly before that, I’d seen suspicious footprints all over our floor and he denied anyone had been in the house.’
– ‘She flew to Texas to spend spring break with a man she met on World of Warcraft.’
– ‘I had been in hospital the night before and they had planned to do surgery for suspected appendicitis. It turned out not to be so acute so the surgery was cancelled and I was discharged and instructed to rest.
– ‘By that morning, I hadn’t eaten for almost two days. Husband comes to the hospital to pick me up. He sat in the car about a block away with the engine running waiting for me to walk to where he was.’
– ‘He called his work to say he was taking the day off to look after me. In reality, he spent the day in bed or playing PC games.’
– ‘There was no food in the house and he refused to go grocery shopping because that was my job. By now I’m super hungry and still in pain from the niggling appendix. I asked if he could sort dinner for us. He pretty much picked a fight with me over that. I said I didn’t need this in my life and he responded, “Well we can get a divorce if you want!” I said, “Yes please. I’ve actually been thinking about that for a while.’