Did you suffer from the Sunday night insomnia last night? You're not alone.
March is National Bed Month. Don’t get your hopes up, the government haven’t given us permission to have a duvet day, rather, the aim is to highlight the importance of getting a good night’s sleep.
Shut-eye is crucial for our physical and psychological wellbeing, and the gorgeous Gwyneth Paltrow even credits sleep as her top beauty tip.
With all the pressures and worries of life it can be hard to completely shut off and get in the state of relaxation required to get a good night’s kip. So, we’ve enlisted the help of sleep expert John Bramm from Octaspring to give us his top sleep tips.
1) Make sure the room is dark. Exposure to even dim light at night, such as a glowing TV screen, could prompt changes in your brain that lead to mood disorders.
2) Make sure the room is cool. Heating can throw off your natural body temperature which will result in a disturbed night’s sleep. The optimum temperature for the room should be around 16-18°C.
3) Make sure you relieve your bladder before you go to sleep. Waking up in the night to go to the toilet will bring you out of your deep sleep and it will take time to get back in to it.
4) Read a book or listen to calming music before you shut your eyes. Having too much on your mind may give you a restless night’s sleep.
5) Invest in a good quality mattress that is right for you and your body. Since you spend on average 2,555 hours a year on your mattress, it’s worth investing in a great quality one that suits your bodily needs.
6) Don’t look at a bright screen before going to sleep. The blueish light screens emit can stop users getting a good night’s sleep since it convinces the brain it’s still daytime.
7) Take time out of your evening to prepare for bed, get in to a regular routine. This may include drinking a hot drink, having a bath or preparing your clothes for the next day. It allows the mind to wind down and prepare for sleep.
8) Don’t drink caffeinated coffee after 5pm. It takes your body 3 – 5 hours to break down caffeine, thus drinking it after this time could keep you awake.
Amazon Prime Day Deals
9) Tidy room, tidy mind. Keep your bedroom neat and organised. Items out of place and mess has been proven to make one feel anxious and stressed, two factors which affect sleep.
10) Wear clothes that allow your skin to breathe. Comfort is extremely important, reduce the chances of anything irritating you in your sleep.
11) Spray your room with scents. Lavender is renowned for being good for sleep.