Do you remember them all?
From Rihanna’s Met Gala dress to Jennifer Lawrence’s Dior Oscars dress and Julia Robert’s unforgettable sheer Valentino Oscars dress, there are too many fabulous moments to pick from.
But while we couldn’t pick a favourite, a new study has revealed what Britons believe to be the most iconic red carpet moments in history, and the results are pretty surprising.
Over 2,000 UK adults were polled by lottoland.co.uk, and memorable moments included Elizabeth Hurley’s Versace ‘safety pin’ dress, Jennifer Lawrence’s fall at the Academy Awards and Lady Gaga’s meat dress.
Scroll down for the full top 10 list of red carpet moments, some of them definitely take us back. All we’ll say is matching denim is a crime against fashion that should never be committed again.
1. Elizabeth Hurley wearing a Versace ‘safety pin’ dress to the ‘Four Weddings and a Funeral’ premiere (1994)
2. Jennifer Lawrence falling over arriving at the Academy Awards (2014)
3. Lady Gaga arriving at MTV Music Video Awards in a dress made of raw meat (2010)
4. Beyoncé Knowles unveiling her pregnancy bump at The VMA’s (2011)
5. Britney Spears and Justin Timberlake wearing double denim to The American Music Awards (2001)
6. Julia Roberts showcasing her armpit hair at the ‘Notting Hill’ premiere (1999)
7. Bjork wearing a Marjan Pejoski ‘swan dress’ to the Academy Awards (2001)
8. Angelina Jolie passionately kissing her brother, James Haven, at the Academy Awards (2000)
9. Kim Kardashian wearing a floral print dress and being compared to Mrs Doubtfire whilst heavily pregnant at the Met Gala (2013)
10. Marlon Brando sending a native American activist on his behalf to refuse his Academy Award (1973)
So there you have it, it’s not so much the best red carpet dresses ever as the most memorable, which is not necessarily meant as a compliment.
However there’s no doubt these all have a place in awards and style history. And food history if you count Lady Gaga’s dress.