‘Ms Swift is taking a stand for all women’
Taylor Swift’s ‘groping trial’ started this week, with the 27-year-old singer taking legal action against a former Denver radio host who allegedly groped her while posing for a photo.
‘He put his hand under my dress and grabbed my bare ass,’ Taylor has explained of the incident with David Mueller at a 2013 meet-and-greet on her Red tour.
‘Today Ms Swift is taking a stand for all women,’ Taylor’s lawyer announced in a powerful opening statement, according to Us Weekly. ‘She has been in tens of thousands of meet-and-greets, including going out in the crowds, and she never had this happen. If a person cannot stand up and serve as an example to other young women that have been sexually assaulted, then who can?’
Mueller, now 55, was dismissed from his top job at KYGO after Taylor’s team informed the radio station of the alleged incident, prompting the accused to sue the singer for defamation, seeking £2.3 million in damages.
‘I’m here to prove that I’m innocent,’ he announced in his testimony on Wednesday. ‘I had a good reputation in radio and I would like to get it back.’
But it was Taylor Swift who won a pre-trial victory just last month when Mueller was apparently sanctioned by a federal judge for destroying multiple electronic devices that contained fundamental evidence to the case.
‘He sexually assaulted my daughter,’ Taylor’s mum Andrea Swift is said to have told the court. ‘Right there, that guy. I heard it from my daughter’s mouth. I know that it happened.’