The British press was abuzz with the news that Prince William might be proposing to girlfriend Kate Middleton...
Speculation that Prince William could announce his engagement to his girlfriend of seven years, Kate Middleton, in June, has been dismissed by Clarence House.
A blog entry by Tina Brown, the well-connected biographer of the Princess of Wales, claimed June 3 and 4 had been ‘mysteriously blocked out on the palace diaries’ and could be a likely date for the long-awaited announcement.
Brown’s credibility to the story has led to a massive amount of coverage in the British press. ‘Miss Brown’s suggestion seems as good as any, due to her impeccable connections with members of the British aristocracy,’ the Daily Mail stated.
But a spokesman for Clarence House said today that both Prince William and the Prince of Wales will be carrying out public engagements on those days, while the Queen also has an official engagement on June 3.
Miss Brown had suggested the Prince, 27, and Miss Middleton, 28, could finally tie the knot in November, but Royal insiders insist the Prince has given no indication of his plans.
Later this year he will begin a three-year posting as an RAF Search and Rescue pilot, and has been training at RNAS Culdrose in Cornwall.
Miss Brown, a former editor of Vanity Fair, had also stated: ‘The Queen and Prince Philip, moreover, are approaching two landmark moments: Philip will be 90 in June 2011, and the queen celebrates her diamond jubilee – 60 years on the throne – in February 2012.
‘Their closeness to their grandson, especially Philip, makes them eager, I am told, to see William settled in matrimony.’