A scrummy chocolate dessert worthy of the most sophisticated dinner parties
Serves six 600g milk 1 vanilla pod 400g double cream 12 large egg yolks, beaten 100g sugar 440g organic chocolate (minimum 60% solids)
1. Warm the milk, vanilla and cream in a pan to just before boiling point.
2. While the mixture is heating, whisk the egg yolks and sugar in a bowl until pale and fluffy.
3. Slowly pour the hot milk mixture on to the eggs and whisk quickly, then pour back into the pan. Heat gently for about one minute, stirring until it thickens. Be careful - if the heat is too high, the eggs will cook too quickly. When the mixture is the consistency of double cream, remove from the heat and allow to cool.
4. Break the chocolate into squares and melt in a glass bowl placed over a pan of boiling water.
5. Slowly pour the egg mixture into the centre of the chocolate (the chocolate should still be hot), stirring constantly. Be careful not to pour the lot in all at once, as you will end up with ganache.
6. Pour the mixture into a shallow serving dish and set in the fridge for at least 4 hours until firm and glossy. Spoon on to individual plates and serve.
If you like the sound of Jo's recipes, then you'll love this: from Wednesday 19 May - Saturday 5 June, Jo's pop-up restaurant Mrs Paisley's Lashings will be returning to her family home, Holmwood House, for the final time. Yes, she's selling up, so this is your last chance to join the party at the sprawling hunting lodge, replete with rock n roll memorabilia and gypsy caravan in the garden!
The event, co-founded by eco-aware chef Arthur Potts Dawson, will run for 10 nights only, offering a delicious three-course menu as well as house wine and a cocktail for £125 per head. All the ingredients are locally sourced or grown in Jo's garden, and she'll be polishing up her best vintage crockery to be used on each evening.
Profits raised will be used to create sustainable Mrs Paisley's gardens in schools across the UK. For reservations call 020 7407 1407 or visit mrspaisleyslashings.com
Marie Claire Newsletter
Celebrity news, beauty, fashion advice, and fascinating features, delivered straight to your inbox!
The leading destination for fashion, beauty, shopping and finger-on-the-pulse views on the latest issues. Marie Claire's travel content helps you delight in discovering new destinations around the globe, offering a unique – and sometimes unchartered – travel experience. From new hotel openings to the destinations tipped to take over our travel calendars, this iconic name has it covered.
Zara's Black Friday sale is over, but these products still have hidden discounts—here's what I'm adding to my basket
Top picks straight from a fashion editor
By Penny Goldstone
The Outnet is having a sale and there's up to 70% off GANNI, The Vampire's Wife and more
Plus, get an extra 25% off with this code
By Sarah-Rose Harrison
Mulberry rarely goes on sale, but they're currently taking up to 20% off
The Mulberry Black Friday and Cyber Monday deals are going strong
By Penny Goldstone