Quick and easy to make, these tasty appetisers are perfect for summer
Serves 6 to 8
4 tbsp Genovese pesto
4 large, ripe tomatoes
Maldon sea salt (plus table salt for extracting the moisture from the aubergines)
Freshly ground black pepper
24 thin-cut slices of Milano salami
1. Preheat the oven to gas mark 2/- 150ºC/300ºF. Slice the aubergines into thin rounds and arrange in a colander in layers, with table salt sprinkled over each layer to extract the moisture. Put the colander on a plate and leave to sit for about an hour, until beads of water -have begun to appear on the surface of the aubergine.
2. Rinse the aubergine slices under a running tap and thoroughly squeeze like a sponge so they are limp and rather rubbery. Swipe each piece with a little pesto and set aside. Finely slice the tomatoes and season with salt and pepper.
3. Alternate the aubergine, tomato and salami in layers so that they form towers, securing each tower with a toothpick. Place on a baking tray and cook for 30-35 minutes.
4. Test the aubergine to make sure it is well-cooked and soft before removing from the oven to cool a little.
5. Serve the stacks on their own or with a handful of fresh baby salad leaves, tossed in balsamic dressing.