Elizabeth Taylor was born on this day in 1932
Elizabeth Taylor was hardly one to shy away from the limelight. She was also always well-equipped with a killer line (or two) and delivered them with sharpened-wit like only a classic Hollywood icon could.
To mark what would have been Elizabeth Taylor's 83rd Birthday, we celebrate the life and sass of a truly dynamic and unstoppable star - in her own words...
Take it away, Liz...
1. 'I've been through it all, baby, I'm mother courage.'
2. 'Big girls need big diamonds.'
3. 'I am a very committed wife. And I should be committed too - for being married so many times.'
4. 'I don't think President Bush is doing anything at all about Aids. In fact, I'm not sure he even knows how to spell Aids.'
5. 'I really don't remember much about Cleopatra. There were a lot of other things going on.'
6. 'You find out who your real friends are when you're involved in a scandal.'
7. 'It's not the having, it's the getting.'
8. 'I sweat real sweat and I shake real shakes.'
9. 'Pour yourself a drink, put on some lipstick, and pull yourself together.'
10. 'You just do it. You force yourself to get up. You force yourself to put one foot before the other, and God damn it, you refuse to let it get to you. You fight. You cry. You curse. Then you go about the business of living. That’s how I’ve done it. There’s no other way.'
But before we go, one final quote. We couldn't help but finish with this heartbreaker by soul-mate Richard Burton on the lady herself:
'I might run from her for a thousand years and she is still my baby child. Our love is so furious that we burn each other out.'
Happy Birthday, Elizabeth Taylor. Here's to furious love.
Marie Claire Newsletter
Celebrity news, beauty, fashion advice, and fascinating features, delivered straight to your inbox!
The leading destination for fashion, beauty, shopping and finger-on-the-pulse views on the latest issues. Marie Claire's travel content helps you delight in discovering new destinations around the globe, offering a unique – and sometimes unchartered – travel experience. From new hotel openings to the destinations tipped to take over our travel calendars, this iconic name has it covered.
As a fashion editor I’m super picky when it comes to presents, but this luxury brand nails Christmas gifting every time
All I want for Christmas is one of these picks
By Jazzria Harris
Royal experts weigh in on whether Kate Middleton actually watches The Crown
By Jenny Proudfoot
Stocking filler ideas for all the family that they will *actually* use
30 stocking filler ideas that won't just collect dust
By Dionne Brighton