'I design for the woman who loves being a woman.'
Diane von Furstenberg is not just an iconic designer: she's a business woman, an example of where hard work can get you and a keen motivator for aspiring female leaders. As she turns 70 this New Year's Eve, we look back at her most fabulous (and inspirational) quotes...
1. 'I didn't really know what I wanted to do, but I knew the woman I wanted to become.'
2. 'Use your brains, your common sense, and do not become an object. The way you look is important, but who you are and how you project it is eventually who you will become and how you will appear.'
3. 'The biggest mistake a woman can make is not to be herself in public or private.'
4. 'I wanted to be an independent woman, a woman who could pay her bill, a woman who could run her own life - and I became that woman.'
5. 'When a woman becomes her own best friend, life is easier.'
6. 'I've never met a woman who is not strong, but some don't let it out. Then there's a tragedy, and then all of a sudden that strength comes. My message is let the strength come out before the tragedy.'
7. 'My face carries all my memories. Why would I erase them?'
8. 'If you're not sure what to wear, if you don't know how everyone else is going to be, then make sure you're at your most beautiful.'
9. 'Attitude is everything.'
10. 'I travel light. I think the most important thing is to be in a good mood and enjoy life, wherever you are.'
11. 'The most important relationship in your life is with yourself. Because no matter what happens you will always be yourself.'
12. 'Insecurity is a waste of time.'
13. 'I wanted to be an empowered woman, and I became an empowered woman. And now I want to empower every woman. And I do it through my clothes, I do it through my words, I do it through my money, I do it through everything.'
14. 'My definition of beauty is strength and personality.'
15. 'Simplicity and sexiness, that's all people want. At a price that's not outrageous.'
16. 'Just don't go to a place where everything is too expensive… it'll put your husband in a bad mood.'
17. 'Passion and persistence are what matter. Dreams are achievable and you can make your fantasy come true, but there are no shortcuts. Nothing happens without hard work.'
Marie Claire Newsletter
Celebrity news, beauty, fashion advice, and fascinating features, delivered straight to your inbox!
Jenny Proudfoot is an award-winning journalist, specialising in lifestyle, culture, entertainment, international development and politics. She has worked at Marie Claire UK for seven years, rising from intern to Features Editor and is now the most published Marie Claire writer of all time. She was made a 30 under 30 award-winner last year and named a rising star in journalism by the Professional Publishers Association.
Be the star gift giver this Christmas with a personalised piece of jewellery to make loved ones smile
If your list of loved ones is long and you’re stumped for ideas, there’s one gift that always keeps on giving – and that’s the perfect piece of jewellery.
By Anna-Louise Dearden
How to get tickets to see Eurovision 2024 live
Scandinavia is calling!
By Lauren Hughes
Emily Ratajkowski faces backlash for 'fatphobic' and 'tone deaf' photoshoot
People are calling for the model to apologise for the image
By Iris Goldsztajn