We interviewed Hollywood A-Lister Katie Holmes to talk keeping fit and red carpet prep.
1. Long hair is easy to style. As my hair has gotten longer it has become easier and easier to style. I use Alterna Caviar Repair Lengthening Elixir (soon to launch) which nourishes my scalp and prevents breakage which is when you’re trying to grow-out your hair and you’re avoiding having it cut so often.
2. When it comes to make-up, I know what works for me. I like to use a lot of browns or purples around my eyes and if I’m doing my make-up myself I usually go for a smoky eye and a nude lip. I rely on my Bobbi & Katie palette that Bobbi Brown and I created and I always use Pot Rouge for Lips & Cheeks, £19, and a Shimmer Brick, £32.50. It’s a classic look but I know it works and I can do it in five minutes.
3. I always have a good time on the red carpet. I leave my fate to the professionals. I work with great hair stylists and make-up artists and they know what they’re doing better than I do, so I just sit there excited that I get to work with them and let them do their thing. We try to have fun with the looks and take risks but it’s important that I still look like me.
4. I like to switch up my fragrances. I often use a different fragrance for different times. What I wear depends on the outfit I choose or the of the look. I tend to wear a lot of different Jo Malone London perfumes because they’re light and mix well with my own scent. I love them.
5. I do a lot of facials to keep my skin in good condition. I exfoliate and hydrate and I wear an SKII Facial Treatment Mask, £60 for 6, at night. I drink a lot of water and exercise to keep my skin in order. When I’m working and wearing make-up under light everyday, I do more facials just to clean-up the pores and keep it all going in the right direction.
6. I always travel with Alterna Bamboo Smooth Pure Kendi Treatment Oil, £20.50. After a long flight you can look a like a mess when you land and just a little bit of oil through my hair really calms things down. I wear my SKII mask as well during the flight. I probably get some funny looks but I’m usually napping so I can’t see them.
7. I started running three miles a day when I was ten years old. I’m a pretty active person in general, I like to do yoga, cycling and running and occasionally I’ll lift some weights because I know it’s good for women. But I try to be active every day and break a sweat.
8. It’s important to keep my hair in good condition. Fortunately I have always worked with really wonderful hair stylists on set and they’ve taken great care of my hair. I’ve only dyed my hair once, so I haven’t put it through too much damage and I use the Alterna Caviar Replenishing Moisture Shampoo, £28.50, and Conditioner, £28.50, and Alterna Caviar Anti-Aging Replenishing Moisture Milk, [soon to launch] to keep my hair in good condition. I get my hair blown-out a lot and it has a lot of hot irons used on it, and I find that they help to maintain my hairs’ strength, smoothness and health.