MC's fashion team finds the living is easy on the queen of Caribbean islands
MC’s fashion team finds the living is easy on the queen of Caribbean islands
We flew to:
Barbados, the small, exuberant island that has it all: quiet beaches, glam hotels, hip restaurants, and lots of sporty things to do. We stayed at the five-star Fairmont Royal Pavilion (0845 071 0153; fairmont.com), with its half mile-long beach and immaculate tropical gardens. Doubles cost from £336 – get seven nights for the price of six until 14 December. British Airways has flights from £541 return in October including taxes. For more information, contact the Barbados Tourism Authority (020 7636 9448) or get a copy of Barbados (£8.99, Landmark).
While you’re there:
1. Go swimming with turtles – they’re astonishingly tame and the hotel uses knowledgeable guides.
2. Visit St Nicholas Abbey, a stately home from the 17th century that screens a wonderful home movie of 1930s life.
3. Buy some local Mount Gay rum and mix it with fresh coconut water.
4. Dine on delicious tuna with lime salsa at Lone Star, just a five-minute walk along the beach from the hotel.
5. Drive over to the wild east coast, which has lovely beaches such as Crane and Bottom Bay (just check out the picture above for proof!), plus good surfing at Bathsheba.