It's the simplest way to perkify but where you place it matters more than you think...
Blusher is the most transforming piece of kit you own. It stops you looking tired, gives the illusion of a healthy flush and even brings out the whites of your eyes. The trick is to make it to look like it’s coming from within, not colouring in.
1. Blusher should never have a definite shape, instead it should be blown out and blended.
2. Powder blush lasts longer than cream and is good for touching up over the top of your existing makeup.
3. Apply powder blushers with the widest, fluffiest brush you own.
4. Stains are good for holiday make-up because they sink in quickly and are also waterproof.
5. Liquid blushers give a dewy appearance so avoid them if you have spots because the sheen will draw attention.
6. Cream blushers have lots of slip to them – perfect for blending into dry, dehydrated skin types.
7. Mature skins tend to be more sallow so choose a blusher that’s brighter to add life to skin.
8. Olive and yellow skin tones should choose tawny, peachy shades to warm them up without too much contrast.
9. If you have a tendency to redness, an apricot blusher won’t add to the problem.
10. Apply liquid on liquid, never on powder. Creams, stains, liquid blushers should go on top of your moisturiser or foundation.
Take inspiration from the AW14 catwalk looks to choose the right blusher style for you:
At the Topshop Unique AW14 show, Hannah Murray applied blusher low down on the models’ cheeks to look like a natural youthful flush of naughty school girls. Instantly youthening and v. cool indeed.
Florrie White chose a high-up-around-the-temple flush for the girls walking the Nicole Farhi show to make them look healthy and naturally peachy clean. This sporty blush is super low maintenance and looks effortless.
Lisa Eldridge created a grown-up glamour blush at Matthew Williamson, working only on the cheekbones and taking the pigment right up to the temples, leaving the cheeks almost completely clear. Zero school girl here.
For loads more beauty, hair and skincare tips you’ve got to check out our MC beauty section…