Being a bridesmaid takes a special set of skills, so why not get paid for it?
Being a bridesmaid takes a special set of skills. Having to plan the hen do is an organisational nightmare, keeping your cool whilst shopping for the, probably unflattering, bridesmaid dress en masse needs never-ending patience and being at a bridezilla’s beck and call takes great strength of character. So, why not get paid for it?
Well, a 26-year-old woman from New York has had that very same idea and posted an ad on Craigslist offering her services as a ‘Professional Bridesmaid.’
After being a bridesmaid four times this year alone, she snapped and is now looking to capitalise on her experience.
‘This year alone, i’ve been a bridesmaid 4 times. That’s 4 different chiffon dresses, 4 different bachelorette parties filled with tequila shots and guys in thong underwear twerking way too close to my face, 4 different pre-wedding pep talks to the bride about how this is the happiest day of her life and marriage, probably, is just like riding a bike: a little shaky at first but then she’ll get the hang of it,’ she writes.
She then goes on to list her skill set:
– Holding up the 18 layers of your dress so that you can pee with ease on your wedding day.
– Catching the bouquet and then following that moment up with my best Miss America-like “Omg, I can’t believe this” speech.
– Doing the electric and the cha cha slide.
– Responding in a timely manner to pre-wedding email chains created by other bridesmaids and the Maid of Honor.
But who would actually hire a bridesmaid, we hear you cry? This woman has a few suggestions:
– If you don’t have any other girlfriends except your third cousin, twice removed, who is often found sticking her tongue down an empty bottle of red wine.
– If your fiance has an extra groomsmen and you’re looking to even things out so your pictures don’t look funny and there’s not one single guy walking down the aisle by himself.
– If you need someone to take control and make sure bridesmaid #4 buys her dress on time and doesn’t show up 3 hours late the day of the wedding or paint her nails lime green.
We reckon this woman could be onto something…
Do you think brides expect too much from their bridesmaids? We have some pretty strong opinions on the matter…