Kate Winslet speaks out about escaping Necker Island fire

'I’m just so glad that everyone is safe,' the actress said of this week's dramatic events

Kate Winslet has spoken out about escaping the devastating fire on Richard Branson’s Necker Island, which swept through the sprawling Great House on Tuesday.

KATE WINSLET: STYLE EVOLUTION

The actress, children Mia, ten and seven-year-old Joe, and boyfriend – reported to be model Louis Dowler – were staying as guests of Richard Branson at the private property, when lightning struck and fire broke out at the luxury holiday home.

At the time, Kate swept into action helping evacuate the house and carrying Branson’s 90-year-old mother to safety.

And earlier this week, the Virgin tycoon praised the Oscar-winner’s brave actions, writing on his blog: ‘Special congratulations and lots of hugs went to Kate Winslet’s two beautiful children Mia, 10 and Joe, 7 – they were real troupers and two of the bravest kids I’ve ever come across!’

Today the actress has finally spoken out about the dramatic events. 

‘I’m just so glad that everyone is safe. And this very easily could not have been the case,’ she said. 

‘I will never forget Richard placing his arms around both my children as we were watching the flames, and saying, “At the end of the day, what you realise is that all that matters is the people that you love. Everything else is just stuff. And none of that stuff matters”.’

Yesterday, Branson vowed he would try to rebuild the destroyed property in time to host daughter Holly’s December wedding.

‘We would love to get the house rebuilt in time but we know there is so much work to be done but we will start as soon as possible and it’s safe to do so,’ he said.

‘Simply put we suspect that there may be slightly more tents for the wedding guests on the beach now but Holly and Freddie’s wedding will definitely still happen here!’

KATE WINSLET’S STYLE HIGHS AND LOWS

MORE CELEBRITY NEWS

Reading now

Popular