Marie Claire's fashion team is mesmerised by this magical Moroccan city
Marie Claire’s fashion team is mesmerised by this magical Moroccan city
We flew to:
Marrakech, Morocco’s enchanting royal city, offers a complete change of scenery in the space of a weekend. It’s easily reached on direct flights from London and Manchester – see flightmapping.com. While it’s often sunny, from now until April you’ll also need to pack some warm clothes and a brolly. Marrakesh Step by Step (£7.99, Insight) is a useful guide, or check out visitmorocco.com
We stayed at:
Les Deux Tours (00 212 5 2432 9525; les-deuxtours.com), a super-stylish hotel set in the green and restful neighbourhood of La Palmeraie. The 35 rooms are decorated in a serene Arab-Andalusian style, with blazing fires that are heaven in winter. There’s also a heated outdoor pool and a hammam where sensual treatments are on offer. Doubles cost from £141.
While you’re there:
1. Take a trip into the mountains to hike, bike and explore Berber villages.
2. Ask the hotel to arrange a guide to help you explore the medina and other top sights such as Medersa Ben Youssef and the richly coloured Jardin Majorelle.
3. Visit Beldi Country Club (beldicountryclub.com) for its amazing textiles and rugs at fixed prices. And haggle in the souks for leather bags, ornate lights, wooden bowls and decorative tea glasses.
4. Have dinner at Le Salammbô, the restaurant at Les Deux Tours run by a Michelin-starred chef.
5. Relax in the hotel’s beautiful gardens reading Paul Bowles with a chilled glass of Moroccan rosé.