We asked co-founder of digital PR agency Aisle 8, Lauren Stevenson, her top tips on using online tools to further your career and understanding of the digital landscape.
1. You need to be all over social media. You can learn a lot about the changing digital landscape and how brands are embracing e-commerce and social media through the media itself. I’ve been inspired by so many articles I have read on Luxury Daily, Business of Fashion, Tech Crunch and in WWD.
2. The power of social media is broad. Understand the potential of social media as a research and inspiration tool, network and profile builder and trend measurement channel. You can absorb what brands are doing digitally, as well as being part of a global conversation.
3. Attend digital and e-commerce events to hear from inspirational speakers and entrepreneurs. There are so many excellent events from the WWD Digital Summit to the Apple Store and the Decoded events, where you can hear from those in the know.
4. Get to know Google Analytics. Understand the analytics of digital as soon as you can, so that you realise the impact of a campaign and how to measure the traffic and conversion of different channels. Google Analytics provides all of the tools to analyse traffic behaviour and how it converts to sales.
5. Understand how digital fits into the overall marketing and media mix. Consumers still look to print media and physical environments, so understanding how to create a 360 brand experience is key to success for brand.
Get more work and career advice in our MC@Work section.