Even though Laura Robson has been knocked out of Wimbledon by Kaia Kanepi, her brilliant performance this year has landed her smack bang in the middle of our radar. Find out more about the no.1 ranked British female tennis player.
Laura Robson has stolen some (read: a whole lot) of the limelight from Andy Murray this Wimbledon by becoming the first British women to reach the fourth round in 15 years.
Here are some little known facts about this talented and determined sportswoman:
1. She is currently ranked 35 in the world but experts and fellow tennis players predict that it won’t be too long before Laura will be at the top of that list. Sports marketing experts even say she could become the highest-earning British female athlete in history if she lives up to her potential.
2. She used to live with her parents, Andrew and Kathy, in Wimbledon, but they have since moved to Greece with their two black labradors. Laura was born in Melbourne and her family also lived in Singapore before they settled in the UK when Laura was six.
3. Laura started playing tennis at the age of six after watching her family play doubles. Always encouraged by her parents, Laura’s mum has famously said that Laura began playing tennis ‘as soon as she could hold a tennis racquet.’
4. She’s 19-years-old.
5. When she was much younger, Laura wanted to be a baker. She even slept with cookery books under her pillow.
6. A talented all-round athlete, Laura was offered a scholarship with the Royal Ballet school, but she chose tennis.
7. Laura has two siblings, Nick and Emily. Nick is a professional swimmer.
8. People have been quick to recognise Laura’s star power and she was signed up by adidas at the age of 11.