Tragic marathon runner Claire Squires had taken banned substance before her death

Coroner rules DMAA was a factor in runner's death

A coroner has ruled a banned substance was a factor in the death of charity runner Claire Squires, who died before she could complete last year’s London Marathon.

30-year-old Squires collapsed and died on the final stretch of the 26.2 mile course last April, and raised over £1m for the Samaritans posthumously.

Her boyfriend Simon van Herrewege said she had put a scoop of a product known as Jack3d into her water bottle and was planning to take it if she ‘hit a wall’.

The product contains the drug DMAA which was not banned at the time but has since been removed from sale due to concerns about risks to public safety.

Coroner Dr Philip Barlow said Squires died of heart failure caused by extreme exertion, complicated by DMAA toxicity.

Recording a narrative verdict at the hearing at Southwark Coroners’ Court, Dr Philip Barlow said: ‘Claire Squires collapsed during the final stages of the London Marathon.

‘She had taken a supplement containing DMAA which, on the balance of probabilities, in combination with extreme physical exertion, caused acute cardiac failure, which resulted in her death.

‘My hope is that the coverage of this case and the events leading up to Claire’s death will help publicise the potentially harmful effects of DMAA during extreme exertion.’

Offering his condolences to her family he said she was ‘an obviously dear person’.

Speaking to press outside court, Mr van Herrewege called for better supervision of the ‘so-called health food and supplement industry’, saying her death had left a ‘gaping hole in their hearts and lives.’

LATEST WORLD NEWS

Reading now

Popular