Three Men Suspected Of Abduction Of Three Cleveland Women Will Be Interviewed By Police

Women who had been missing for about a decade escaped from captors yesterday

Three men suspected of abducting three women in Cleveland, Ohio around ten years ago will be interviewed by police investigating the case.

The three women, Amanda Berry (pictured), Michelle Knight, Gina DeJesus as well as Berry’s six-year-old daughter Jocelyn, who was born in captivity, were dramatically rescued on Monday evening.

Berry, who disappeared in 2003 at the age of 16 on her way home from work in a fast-food restaurant, alerted a neighbour, Charles Ramsey, later escaping with his help.

DeJesus, who went missing aged 14 a year later, andKnight, who vanished in 2002 aged 20, were also rescued from the property.

Ramsey is believed to have kicked down a door to let the women out, and following this Ariel Castro, the main suspect, fled the scene before being arrested.

His brothers, Pedro and Onil Castro, have also been arrested.

Police say they are planning to conduct interviews with the three suspects today, with charges to be filed this evening, after a judge granted them an extra 12 hours to file charges.

They are also carrying a thorough inspection of the house, located on Seymour Avenue near the centre of Cleveland, as well as other properties.

Speaking to CNN, Cleveland police spokesperson Jennifer Ciacca said: ‘This is just the tip of the iceberg. This investigation will take a very long time.’

Police have also come under fire for allegedly being unresponsive to neighbours’ reports of unusual activity in the house, however police deny these claims saying they were not given any tip-offs.

The three women were taken to hospital and reunited with their families, and are said to be in good health.

FBI Special Agent Stephen Anthony said: ‘The nightmare is over. These three young ladies have provided us with the ultimate definition of survival and perseverance. The healing can now begin.’

LATEST WORLD NEWS

Reading now

Popular