Saucy book tops the chart, followed by The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo and the Hunger Games
It’s the book that most of us have been reading in recent months, but could it be we’re too embarassed to take it home once the holiday is over?
According to budget hotel chain Travelodge Fifty Shades of Grey is the book most left behind in their hotel rooms in recent months, closely followed by Stieg Larsson’s The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo and Suzanne Collins’ Hunger Games.
During the last 12 months, around 21,786 books have been left behind in 36,500 Travelodge hotel rooms, with 7,000 copies of Fifty Shades left behind.
For the first time ever the chain has reported that trilogies (apart from The Help by Kathryn Stockett at number 10) have dominated the top ten as opposed to celebrity autobiographies.
Previous number ones have included Katie Price’s autobiography Pushed to the Limit and The Blair Years by Alastair Campbell.
Shakila Ahmed, Travelodge spokesperson says: ‘It is interesting to see for the first time ever that our top ten books left behind index is not being dominated by celebrity biographies and chick lit books which it has done in the past.
‘Trilogies have dominated the charts this year with Fifty Shades of Grey topping the poll. So popular is this book, our hotel staff have reported that business and leisure customers of all ages are reading this trilogy. Customers can not get enough of Mr Grey and Miss Steele, they are even reading the book whilst eating breakfast and dinner.’
It also seems Fifty Shades isn’t the only erotic book popular with Travelodge customers. Staff at Scarborough Travelodge found a bag of Karma Sutra books which belonged to an elderly couple staying for a week while a suitcase full of Mills & Boon novels was left behind in the Leamington Spa branch.
The full top 20 is below:
1. Fifty Shades of Grey, E.L. James
2. The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, Stieg Larsson
3. The Girl Who Kicked The Hornets’ Nest, Stieg Larsson
4. Fifty Shades Freed, E.L. James
5. The Hunger Games, Suzanne Collins
6. The Girl Who Played With Fire, Stieg Larsson
7. Fifty Shades Darker, E.L. James
8. Catching Fire, Suzanne Collins
9. Mockingjay, Suzanne Collins
10. The Help, Kathryn Stockett
11. One Day, David Nicholls
12. A Tiny Bit Marvellous, Dawn French
13. Steve Jobs: The Exclusive Biography, Steve Jobs
14. Diary Of A Wimpy Kid, Jeff Kinney
15. The Brightest Star In The Sky, Marian Keyes
16. The Fry Chronicles, Stephen Fry
17. Room, Emma Donoghue
18. Strengths Finder 2.0, Tom Rath
19. The Confession, John Grisham
20. Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, John Le Carre
All books left behind at Travelodge hotels that are not claimed within three months are donated to Cancer Research UK charity shops across the UK.