Jude Law receives £130,000 phone-hacking payout

The actor was one of 37 people that received settlements from the News of the World

Jude Law has received a £130,000 payout from News Group Newspapers in relation to the phone-hacking scandal.

In total, 37 people, from all walks of life, were awarded damages that racked up to a bill of £645,000 for the group, that published the now defunct News of the World.

JUDE LAW SUES NEWS INTERNATIONAL

Law’s settlement fee was by far the highest after London’s High Court heard that the star had suffered ‘considerable distress.’

In a statement, read out by Law’s lawyer, Mark Thomson, the Sherlock Holmes star, said he was ‘appalled’ at the treatment he received.

He said: ‘For several years leading up to 2006, I was suspicious about how information concerning my private life was coming out in the press. I changed my phones, I had my house swept for bugs but still the information kept being published. I started to become distrustful of people close to me.’

His now ex-girlfriend, Sienna Miller, also settled her privacy and harassment claim for £100,000 in June last year.

JUDE & SIENNA’S RELATIONSHIP IN PICS

Other high profile figures that accepted settlements yesterday include Law’s ex-wife actress Sadie Frost (£50,000), Lord Prescott (£40,000) and rugby player Gavin Henson (£40,000).

Ulrika Jonsson, Ashley Cole and Dannii Minogue also settled yesterday for undisclosed amounts.

Another case has been set for February 13 where other phone-hacking victims, including Charlotte Church, will receive damages. 

Do you think Jude Law received a reasonable settlement fee? Is it too much money? Let us know what you think in the comment box below…

MORE ABOUT THE PHONE-HACKING SCANDAL

MORE CELEBRITY NEWS

Reading now

Popular