David Beckham will take part in the Olympic opening ceremony, it’s been confirmed

David Beckham himself has confirmed that he will appear in Friday night's opening ceremony

David Beckham has confirmed that he will take part in the Olympics opening ceremony on Friday night.

Despite being left out of Team GB – much to our dismay – the footballer will appear at the event to help launch the London 2012 Olympic Games.

DAVID BECKHAM LEFT OUT OF TEAM GB

Beckham told ITV News that he will have ‘some kind of role in the opening ceremony.’

He added: ‘Being involved in the bid team that actually got the Olympics, I feel very proud of that.

‘For it to all come to life now and to see the athletes start to arrive, it’s exciting. I’m privileged to still be involved in this. [Lord Sebastian Coe’s] kept me involved since then. I feel very honoured.’

Lord Coe has been a big fan of Beckham from the off and is grateful for the support the 37-year-old has shown the London 2012 Olympic Games.

He said: ‘David has been an extraordinary supporter – probably our number one supporter – of the Games from the very beginning and is keen to continue his enthusiastic support right to the end.

‘He is from East London and knows how important the Games and sport are to young people. He is a great role model.’

As the Olympic Opening Ceremony draws closer, how do you feel about the Games? Are you starting to get excited or has a feeling of dread or indifference settled in your stomach? Let us know what you think about the Olympics in the comment box below.

WATCH: DAVID BECKHAM SURPRISE FANS IN OLYMPICS PHOTOBOOTH

YOUR ULTIMATE GUIDE TO THE OLYMPICS

DAVID BECKHAM: A LIFE IN PICTURES

Reading now

Popular