Charles Saatchi And Nigella Lawson Divorce: Full Statement

Charles Saatchi has confirmed he is to divorce wife Nigella Lawson after he was photographed grabbing her throat last month

Charles Saatchi has confirmed he is to divorce wife Nigella Lawson, after he was pictured with his hands around her throat during an argument at a restaurant last month.

The advertising mogul announced the news in a statement to the Mail On Sunday, telling the paper he had ‘clearly been a disappointment,’ to his wife, and that they had ‘become estranged and drifted apart’ over the last year.

CHARLES SAATCHI ACCEPTS POLICE CAUTION AFTER INVESTIGATION INTO ROW

‘I am sorry to announce that Nigella Lawson and I are getting divorced,’ he said.

‘This is heartbreaking for both of us as our love was very deep, but in the last year we have become estranged and drifted apart. I feel that I have clearly been a disappointment to Nigella during the last year or so, and I am disappointed that she was advised to make no public comment to explain that I abhor violence of any kind against women, and have never abused her physically in any way.

‘I am sorry that we had a row. I am sorry that she was upset. I am even more sorry that this is the end of our marriage.’

‘I wish Nigella the best for the future and for her continuing global success. She remains the most wonderful woman in the world. I feel very fortunate to have had such a lovely wife for many years.’

It’s thought Nigella Lawson was not aware ‘of the divorce ultimatum being issued by her husband’ prior to the article’s publication.

Reps for the TV chef are yet to comment.

Last week, Nigella Lawson was pictured without her wedding ring after the row over the offending pictures escalated.

Charles Saatchi accepted a police caution over the events, but later released a statement in the London Evening Standard branding the incident a ‘playful tiff’.

He said: ‘Although Nigella made no complaint I volunteered to go to Charing Cross station and take a police caution after a discussion with my lawyer because I thought it was better than the alternative of this hanging over all of us for months.’

CHARLES SAATCHI ACCEPTS POLICE CAUTION AFTER INVESTIGATION INTO ROW

MORE CELEBRITY NEWS

Got a tablet? You can now download Marie Claire magazine straight to your
iPad
, Kindle (just search the store for ‘marie claire magazine’),
Nook
or
Google Nexus.

Reading now

Popular