The actress is set to star in a musical comedy called La La Land.
Emma Watson’s next movie project is a big one. The Harry Potter actress is set to star in a musical comedy called La La Land. Think Singin’ In The Rain meets Gentleman Prefer Blondes. Ambitious, non?
This is what we know so far:
1. It’s being directed by the guy behind the Oscar-nominted Whiplash. Director Damien Chazelle has called this his ‘passion project,’ telling the Telegraph: ‘I’ve been trying to get it off the ground since I lived in LA, in the past five or six years. I wrote the script about four years ago, and I worked with the same guy who did the music on Whiplash. We wrote it four years ago and we were just trying to convince someone to do an original, MGM-style musical, because I don’t think there are enough.’
2. Emma Watson will play Mia, an aspiring actress alongside Miles Teller’s, who plays the drummer in Whiplash, aspiring jazz musician. The two fall in love in Los Angeles but soon discover that staying in love in such a cutthroat city isn’t easy.
3. Described as a song-and-dance romance, we can expect to see Emma Watson try out some choreography as well as flexing her vocal chords. Amazing.
4. The music in the film will have a huge jazz influence, but has also been inspired by the likes of previous Hollywood musical films such as Singin’ In The Rain, The Star is Born, Gentleman Prefer Blondes and Meet Me in St Louis.
5. Filming will start in March.
For a preview of Emma’s lovely singing voice, listen as she provides the backing vocals for Ben Hammersley’s Pantomime. Plus, here are 12 other stars who blew us away with their secret singing ability.