300 g / 11 oz caster sugar
45 ml / 3 tbsp cornflour
45 ml / 3 tbsp plain flour
pinch of salt
30 ml / 2 tbsp butter
grated rind and juice of 2 lemons
3 eggs, separated
175 g / 6 oz plain flour
2.5 ml / 1?2 tsp salt
75 g / 3 oz margarine (or half butter, half lard)
flour for rolling out
1) Set the oven at 200ºC / 400ºF / gas 6.
2) To make the pastry, sift the flour and salt into a bowl, then rub in the margarine until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add enough cold water to make a stiff dough. Press the dough together lightly.
3) Roll out the pastry on a lightly-floured surface and use to line a 23 cm / 9 inch pie plate. Line the pastry with greaseproof paper and fill with baking beans. Bake blind for 15 minutes; remove paper and beans. Return to the oven for 5 minutes.
4) Meanwhile, mix 50 g / 2 oz of the caster sugar, the cornflour, plain flour and salt in a saucepan. Stir in 300 ml / 1?2 pint water and bring to the boil, stirring.
5) Draw the pan off the heat and add the butter, lemon rind and juice. Put the egg yolks in a bowl, add a little of the cooked mixture, then add to the mixture in the pan. Beat well, replace over the heat and cook, stirring constantly for
2 minutes. Remove the pie from the oven and reduce the oven temperature to 180ºC / 350ºF / gas 4.
6) In a clean, grease-free bowl, whisk the egg whites until stiff. Fold in the remaining sugar. Pour the lemon custard into the baked pastry case and cover the top with the meringue, making sure that it covers the top completely. Bake for 1215 minutes until the meringue is lightly browned. Cool before cutting.
Serve with two scoops of Mrs Beetons Rediscovered Apple Crumble Ice Cream
Lemon Meringue Pie