The combination of warm gooey plums with a good scoop of cold ice cream is sensational. You could try using a full-bodied red wine instead of the port, as this works equally well. Increase the quantity of sugar used if your plums are particularly tart.Ingredients (Serves 4)
• 150ml port
• 75g sugar
• Rind of 1 lemon
• 1 cinnamon stick
• 150ml water
• 6 large plums, halved and stoned
• 2tbsp redcurrant jelly
1) Put the port, sugar, lemon, cinnamon and water in a wide saucepan or deep frying pan.
2) Simmer gently until the sugar is fully dissolved.
3) Add the plums and cook for about 5 minutes or until tender.
4) Transfer the plums to a warm serving plate.
5) Stir in the redcurrant jelly to the syrup in the pan, then boil rapidly to reduce and thicken. Pour over the plums.
6) Serve warm with a good scoop of vanilla ice cream.