Marie Claires fashion team discovers a beach resort fit for a goddess.
We flew to…
Thessaloniki in northern Greece. In June return fares from Gatwick cost from £162 including taxes with British Airways. From here it’s an hour’s drive to Halkidiki. Hot Spots Halkidiki (£4.99, Thomas Cook) covers the region or see halkidiki.com.
We stayed at…
The five-star Danai Beach Resort in Sithonia, which has 60 suites and villas set on the cliffs beside a well-kept beach. Family-owned with three high-class restaurants, it’s the perfect place for some sun worship. In June, double rooms cost from £377, including breakfast.
While you’re there…
1. Take a boat cruise from Ormos Panagias to admire Mount Athos and its monasteries, including Xenophontos Monastery.
2. Indulge yourself at Danai’s luxurious Moroccan-style spa, which offers a lavish choice of pampering treatments.
3. Hit the beach bars in Neos Marmaras – we liked Molos, Koho and Villa – and watch the football. Greece qualified for the World Cup (from 11 June).
4. Enjoy a day on one of Halkidiki’s numerous Blue Flag beaches.
5. Visit the 11th century BC Royal Tombs at Vergina, a Unesco World Heritage site.