Try Beyoncé's exact vegan diet, if you dare.
Remember when Beyoncé and Jay Z went on a vegan diet? Well, Bey’s very own body coach has now shared the exact eating plan the mega-couple followed.
Marco Borges has let us normals have access to his 22-day vegan cleanse via the PETA website.
Why 22 days, we hear you ask? Well, Marco reckons that it takes 21 days to make or break a habit and by day 22, you’ve ‘found the way’.
We’ve been noticing the increasing popularity of veganism for a while now and the evidence of its benefits is strong. Studies show that people who follow plant-based diets have a much lower risk of developing diabetes and heart disease or having a stroke. They’re also 10 to 20 pounds lighter than meat-eaters, on average.
And, if this diet will get us anyway close to looking like Beyoncé did at the Grammy Awards, then we’re on board.
To give you an idea of what you’re in for, this is a typical day on the 22-day vegan diet:
BREAKFAST: Vanilla chia pudding with 1 cup fresh berries
LUNCH: Crunchy red cabbage and green apple sesame slaw with 1 cup steamed, cubed sweet potato (or 1 small sweet
AFTERNOON SNACK: 1/4 cup hemp hummus with fresh vegetables (carrots, celery, romaine leaves, bell pepper, etc.) DINNER: Black bean and quinoa salad with quick cumin dressing
DESSERT: Dark chocolate
Not too scary, right? Now, here are a couple of recipes to start you off:
QUINOA BREAKFAST PORRIDGE
1 cup dry quinoa
2 cups almond milk
1 tbsp agave or maple syrup
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 tablespoon ground flax meal
Optional toppers and add-ins: sliced banana, fresh berries, a few tablespoons raw walnuts, a tablespoon of chia seeds, a tablespoon of almond butter.
1. Combine quinoa, almond milk, sweetener, vanilla, and cinnamon in a small pot. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer.
2. Allow the quinoa to cook until all of the liquid is absorbed and quinoa is fluffy (15-20 minutes). Stir in the flax meal. Stir in any additional toppers or add-ins, and enjoy.
Leftovers will keep in the fridge for up to three days and can be reheated with almond milk over the stove.
SPICY THAI SALAD
For the dressing:
1 cup coconut water
1⁄4 cup cilantro
1⁄4 cup basil
1⁄4 tsp salt (or more)
2 pitted dates
1 tbsp minced or grated ginger
Sprinkle of cayenne pepper
For the salad:
1 bell pepper, chopped
2 cups grated carrots
1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
1 cup sprouts
2 cups shredded romaine lettuce
1 cup sliced cucumbers
This Primark bag is about to take over your Instagram feed
Blake Lively had seven outfit changes in one day and handled it like the total pro she is
Thank God Barack and Michelle Obama are still here to make history
Maisie Williams just broke her silence on Sophie Turner’s engagement and it’s too much
1. Blend all dressing ingredients in a high speed blender till smooth.
2. Top salad with dressing as desired. Serve.
RAW VEGAN BROWNIE BITES
Makes 24-30 balls
2 cups walnuts
2/3 cup cacao nibs
Generous pinch sea salt (to taste)
1/4 cup raw cacao (or regular cocoa) powder
1 1/2 cups pitted dates
1. Place the walnuts, cacao nibs, sea salt, and cacao powder in a food processor and process for about 30 seconds, or till everything is pretty well crumbled up.
2. Add the dates and process for another twenty seconds or so. The mixture should be sticking together. If it’s not, keep processing till it sticks together easily when you squeeze a little in your hand. If you need to, adding a few more dates will help bind it together.
3. Shape the “dough” into balls that are about 3/4 – 1 inch thick by rolling it in your palms. Store in the fridge for 30 min- utes, and then they’ll be ready to serve.
Balls will keep, stored in the fridge, for two weeks.
Are you tempted to give this a try? Check out the PETA website where you can order a free vegan diet starter kit?