An old favourite which is today as popular as ever. Try it with cornflakes instead of breadcrumbs for a tasty change.
45 ml / 3 tbsp golden syrup
50 g / 2 oz soft white breadcrumbs
5 ml / 1 tsp lemon juice
150 g / 5 oz plain flour
2.5 ml / 1?2 tsp salt
65 g / 21?2 oz margarine (or half butter, half lard)
flour for rolling out
1) Set the oven at 200ºC / 400ºF / gas 6.
2) To make the pastry, sift the flour and salt into a bowl, then rub in the margarine until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add enough cold water to make a stiff dough. Press the dough together with your fingertips.
3) Roll out the pastry on a lightly-floured surface and use just over three-quarters of it to line a 20 cm / 8 inch pie plate, reserving the rest for a lattice topping.
4) Melt the syrup in a saucepan. Stir in the breadcrumbs and lemon juice, then pour the mixture into the prepared pastry case.
5) Roll out the reserved pastry to a rectangle and cut into 1 cm / 1?2 inch strips. Arrange in a lattice on top of the tart. Bake for about 30 minutes.
Serve with two scoops of Mrs Beetons Rediscovered Old English Toffee Ice Cream