Fashion can be confusing, and a little daunting. With new micro trends seeming to emerge each week, what are the fail-safe style rules you need to live by?We've asked fashion expert Sian O'Flaherty to break down the looks, pieces, accessories, colour schemes and brands that will help you through the minefield that is fashion.
1. Colour brightens everyone’s day. If colour frightens you then add a pop somewhere with a magenta bag, yellow nails or turquoise belt. ASOS is great for bold accessories.
Add a bright bag for a pop of colour
2. Use black, khaki or monochrome as a base to keep it chic, but experiment with different textures such as leather or PU jeans from Mango with a jersey top and boucle jacket.
4. Boots work in the summer with casual dresses. Acne do amazing ankle boots in different colours with unusual designs - I wear mine with everything.
Sienna Miller is a big fan of ankle boots and dresses
5. Shorts are not just for teenagers at festivals, tailored shorts with matching blazers are great for the office – structured shorts from Zara are a good choice this season. I love leather shorts too, wear them with tights when it’s cold.
SPRING/SUMMER 2013 TRENDS
6. Double denim is okay – experiment with different shades, there is such a variety of denim available now. White ankle grazing skinny jeans are great with a washed jacket. You can get amazing investment jeans from J Brand.
Could you make double denim work for you?
7. High top or wedge trainers can make a casual outfit more fun and put together, check out New Balance trainers – this season they’ve had a fashion makeover.
8. Leather jackets are great this time of year when weather is unpredictable, Theyskens Theory leather jackets are amazing and worth the investment - I’ve worn mine to death and it’s still in great condition.
SJP can't get enough of her Theyskens Theory leather jacket
9. Add a stylish element to your outfit with interesting jewellery, there are some amazing statement collar necklaces around - Urban Outfitters have great geometric pieces.
10. Invest in a timeless, classic handbag. I’m really excited that Balenciaga has just been added to ShopStyle - they make perennially cool, ‘statement’ bags.
A statement handbag can go along way
Sian O'Flaherty is the UK Marketing Manager for ShopStyle – the fashion search engine.